If you’re a fan of sashimi, you will enjoy this albacore tuna bowl. In this recipe, the soft tender albacore tuna is lightly flavored with a soy sesame sauce and served over rice. It’s a simple meal that the whole family will enjoy.
Did you know troll-or pole-caught pacific albacore tuna (びんちょうマグロ) is considered sustainable and environmentally friendly (read more)? And it is really delicious too! There is a misconception about albacore tuna’s quality because it is used in canned tuna. However, albacore tuna is really delicious with a mild flavor and soft texture when served as sashimi or sushi.
How to Make Albacore Tuna Bowl びんちょう鮪の漬け丼の作り方
Soft tender albacore tuna sashimi marinated in soy sesame sauce served over rice. Garnish with shiso and scallion.
Albacore Tuna Bowl (びんちょう鮪の漬け丼) is very easy to prepare. I use MSC Certified sashimi grade albacore tuna that’s vacuum sealed for this dish (available on my online sashimi store Fish for Sushi.com). Simply defrost in refrigerator for about 5-6 hours and it’s ready to enjoy.
This dish is flavored with with soy sauce, sake, mirin, and sesame oil – the usual condiments for most of Japanese meals. The meal is simple, yet perfect for a family especially when you’re busy all day long and need to feed the hungry family in short time.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 9 oz (255 g) albacore tuna sashimi (Click here to purchase)
- 2 servings steamed rice (Microwave frozen rice to save time!)
- 4 Tbsp. shredded nori sheet
- 1 tsp. white sesame seeds
- 1 scallion/green onion
- 3 shiso leaves
- ½ inch ginger
- ½ tsp. wasabi (optional)
- To make sauce, combine the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and transfer the sauce into a small bowl, set on ice over a larger bowl.
- Cut the scallion into fine slices, roll up the shiso leaves together and slice thinly, and grate the ginger.
- Slice the albacore tuna into about ½” thick slices and marinate in the sauce for 10 minutes.
- To serve, put steamed rice in bowls, sprinkle shredded nori and sesame seeds, and place sliced albacore tuna. Garnish with scallion, shiso leaves, ginger, and wasabi.
Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe and link to this post as the original source. Thank you.