If you have been following me (thank you♥), you probably didn’t expect to see a new post today because I’ve been posting just 3 days a week for the past two months. Since I started blogging this past January, I had so much to do besides just “posting” my recipes. I didn’t know how much time and effort are required to keep up a decent, good-content blog. Posting 3 recipes a week definitely reduced my stress over the past 2 months. Now I have more recipes that are waiting to be published, so it’s time to share them with you!
I usually keep one package of Unagi in the freezer in case I need to make a quick dinner. If you are tired of the regular Unadon (Unagi Donburi), this might give you an interesting twist to the original version. I used Shiso leaves which provide a great accent to the combination of Unagi and eggplant and plays an important role. I hope you will enjoy this quick yummy dinner.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 1 long Chinese eggplant, cut into 2” strips right before you cook
- 1 pkg Unagi, cut into 1” pieces
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. sake
- Unagi Sauce (Homemade or 1 Tbsp. Mirin + 1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce)
- Shiraga-Negi for garnish
- 5 Shiso leaves for garnish, chiffonaded
- Shichimi Togarashi (seven flavor chili powder) (optional)
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat oil on medium high. Cook the eggplant until one side is nicely browned then turn it over to cook the other side.
- Put the Unagi on top of eggplant and add water and cooking sake. Immediately cover with a lid and cook for 1 minute.
- Open the lid and let the remaining liquid evaporated.
- Add the Unagi Sauce. Coat the eggplant and Unagi with the sauce.
- Put rice in a serving bowl and transfer the eggplant and Unagi on top of the rice. Garnish with Shiraga-Negi and Shiso leaves. If you like spicy food, sprinkle with Shichimi. Enjoy immediately.