Here are the directions to properly make Japanese rice using a rice cooker.
For stovetop cooking method (not using a rice cooker), click here.
If you need to make Sushi Rice (seasoned with sushi vinegar seasoning) to make sushi, click here to get the recipe.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 3 rice cooker cups* (540ml) of uncooked Japanese premium short grain rice
- Put rice in a large bowl. Rinse the rice and discard the water immediately. Rice absorbs water very quickly when you start washing, so don't let the rice absorb the unclear water. Repeat this process 1-2 times.
- Now use your fingers to gently wash the rice in a circular motion.
- Rinse and discard water. Repeat this process 3-4 times.
- Let the rice soak in water for 30 minutes. Transfer the rice into a sieve and drain for 15 minutes.
- Now transfer the rice into the rice cooker bowl. Add cold water (good water) to 3 cups for "White Rice". And then start cooking (I use "Softer" option for our liking).
- Once the rice is done cooking, let it steam for another 10 minutes. Fluff the rice with a rice paddle.
A rice cooker cup is not same as 1 US cup. 1 rice cooker cup is 180 ml.
Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link to this post as the original source. Thank you.