Here are the simple instructions on how to make Japanese rice at home with a rice cooker.
For stovetop cooking method (not using a rice cooker), click here.
If you need to make Sushi Rice (seasoned with sushi vinegar seasoning) to make sushi, click here to get the recipe.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 1 rice cooker cups* (150 g, 180 ml) of uncooked Japanese premium short grain rice
- 200 ml water
- Put rice in a large bowl. Rinse the rice and discard the water immediately. Rice absorbs water very quickly when you start washing, so don't let the rice absorb the unclear water. Repeat this process 1-2 times.
- Now use your fingers to gently wash the rice in a circular motion.
- Rinse and discard water. Repeat this process 3-4 times.
- Let the rice soak in water for 30 minutes and then drain completely.
- Transfer the rice into the rice cooker bowl. Add water (good water, do not use warm or hot water) to 1 cup for "White Rice" (In this case, I use 3 cups of rice, so I add water till 3 cups line.). And click to start (I use "Softer" option for our liking).
- Once the rice is done cooking, let it steam for another 10 minutes. Fluff the rice with a rice paddle.
We use this rice cooker.
A "rice cooker cup" is NOT same as 1 cup (240 ml). 1 rice cooker cup is 180 ml.
Rice to Water Ratio is 1: 1.1 or 1.2
1 rice cooker cup (150 g of rice) will make 330 gram of cooked rice, which will be about 2 bowls of rice and you can make 3 rice balls (typical Japanese rice ball size is 110 gram each).
Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link to this post as the original source. Thank you.