Our Indian neighbor makes the most delicious Indian food and I am very lucky she’s one of my closest friends. Since there isn’t much overlap between Japanese and Indian food, she opened up a whole new chapter in my culinary world.
It’s great to have someone to go to for advice on different spices and her suggestions are always just perfect. This is my first attempt at the Indian (Chicken) Curry. When I told her how much vegetable I was planning to include, she was very surprised. She said typically she does not put this much when she cooks “Chicken” Curry. So please adjust the amount according to your preference.
I served the curry with Basmati Rice.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 5 chicken thighs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 inches ginger, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 5 okra, quartered lengthwise
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- A pinch of chili powder (mild spicy level for kids)
- In a large pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onions and sauté until nicely browned.
- Add chicken, garlic, and ginger, and sauté for a few minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Add red bell pepper, zucchini, okra, and mushrooms and mix well.
- Add seasonings and tomato cans and mix well. Add water if necessary . Keep simmering until vegetables are cooked.
- Add cilantro right before serving. Serve with naan or Indian Style Basmati Rice.