Here is a very quick and healthy chicken burger steak which we use ground chicken and tofu to make the patties. In Japan this dish is called Tofu Hambagu, however my husband pointed out that people may misunderstand it as “vegetarian” dish, so I changed the name since it contains ground chicken. If you are not a big tofu fan, you might be surprised that you won’t probably noticed the use of tofu here. It’s healthier and much more economical than just chicken only.
Despite being a low calorie healthy dish, the meat patties are juicy and have great flavor. Pour soy sauce base glaze on top right before you serve. I served the chicken burger steak with salad, rice, and miso soup – very light and healthy dinner.
Last but not least, I want to thank Alyssa of Mom De Cuisine for passing me the blog award! Thank you Alyssa!
Happy Wednesday everyone!
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 5 oz (142 g, about ⅔ package) regular tofu (not silken)
- ¾ lb ground chicken thigh
- 3 green onions
- 3 Shiitake mushrooms, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- 10 Shiso leaves, chiffonaded
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1 Tbsp. sake
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- ½ tsp. soy sauce
- ½ tsp. Konbucha (or substitute with ¼ tsp. salt)
- ½ tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Drain the tofu for 15 minutes like below. We just need ⅔ of tofu so keep the ⅓ in an air tight container filled with water. It can be kept in the fridge for a few days or you can use the remaining tofu to make tofu miso soup.
- Meanwhile, cut Negi, Shiitake mushrooms, and ginger and put them in a large bowl. Add tofu and egg yolk and mix all together using hands. Add Seasonings and continue to mix with hands.
- Pinch off 2 inch from the mixture and make meatballs. Toss each ball from one hand to the other hand repeatedly about 5 times in order to release the from air inside the balls. Burger steaks will crack while cooking if the air inside is not released. Then make oval shape patties (see a picture below). The top shouldn’t be completely flat (a bit more round). The tofu will release water if you wait, so start cooking the patties soon.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Put the patties on one by one. Cook the patties for about 5 minutes on one side. Do not turn over until browned. After you turn over, lower heat to medium low and cook for 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat the process for the 2nd batch if you couldn’t fit all the meat patties in the frying pan. After you are done with cooking the patties, go to the next step.
- In a smaller frying pan, bring Sauce Seasonings to a boil. Then stir in corn starch mix. Make sure corn starch mix is dissolved completely. When the sauce gets thicken, pour the sauce over the steak.
- Garnish with shiso leaves.