This Octopus Carpaccio (tako carpaccio) is a delicious appetizer with thinly sliced octopus. If you never had octopus and want to try it for the first time, I highly recommend this dish! With a light lemon dressing, this octopus carpaccio is very flavorful yet delicate on the palate.
I have prepared octopus carpaccio in the Japanese way. The dish can be prepared quickly because we skip the time required to prepare and cook raw octopus. Instead we get octopus sashimi (it’s cooked already) from local Japanese supermarkets or my online store FishforSushi.com.
All you need to do is to thinly slice boiled octopus and place them on a plate, and then chop veggies and make the delicious sauce. It requires less than 15 minutes to put together this dish, and it’s a perfect appetizer for a big party since it’s so quick and easy to make.
Octopus dishes are commonly enjoyed in the Mediterranean, South American and East Asian countries. Beside this Japanese style octopus carpaccio, there is also an Italian version of octopus carpaccio that is also popular but requires quite a bit more work.
If you plan to buy a whole octopus, and don’t know what to do with the rest, these are some of the delicious octopus dishes that I’ve shared:
And check out these links from other sites for more octopus dishes!
- Octopus Salad (Ensalada de Pulpo) from Simply Recipes
- Italian-Style Grilled Octopus from Serious Eats
- Grilled Octopus with Gigante Beans and Oregano from Bon Appetit
- Octopus Salad with Peppers and Olives from It All Tastes Greek To Me
- Grilled Sous-Vide Octopus w/ Corona Beans, Chorizo & Sherry-Smoked Paprika Vinaigrette from Zen Can Cook
Thank you so much for reading, and I’ll see you next time!
- 7 oz (200 g) octopus sashimi (boiled)
- ⅓ English cucumber
- 1 tomato
- ¼ sweet onion
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon (1.5 Tbsp. lemon juice)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- Cut octopus into thin slices.
- Keeping the core intact, slice the onion widthwise. Then slice lengthwise and cut crosswise.
- Mince the onion to even size. Soak in water for 10 minutes to get rid of bitter taste.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Cut the cucumber into thin strips and chop finely.
- Cut the tomato in half and remove the seeds. Cut into thin strips and chop finely.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and add all the seasonings and mix all together. Place sliced octopus on a serving tray and place the vegetables on top. Serve chilled.