Sunomono (or Cucumber Salad) is simple and very easy to prepare in a short time yet this is one of the most popular appetizers you often see at dinner tables in Japan.
Sunomono is a vinegar based dish usually made with cucumbers. “Su” means vinegar in Japanese and we have a large variety of appetizers using vinegar and cucumber, such as Tako Su (Octopus Salad) I shared before. These light refreshing vinegar salads are a great start to any meal and the sourness from the vinegar helps open your appetite.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 1 Tbsp wakame (seaweed)
- ½ English cucumber (or 1 Japanese cucumber)
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp ginger (julienned, optional)
- Soak wakame in water for 10 minutes to rehydrate. Drain well and transfer to a bowl.
- Alternately peel a ½-inch-side strip lengthwise, leaving a strip of the skin intact. With this method, the cucumber slices have some decorative dark green accents and a little bit of extra crunchiness. Cut the cucumbers into thinly slices, about 1/8-inch thickness (or even thinner!).
- Sprinkle the cucumber slices with salt and massage them. Let stand for a few minutes and squeeze out excess water from cucumber. Transfer to the bowl from Step 1.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over high heat until the sugar dissolves completely. Set aside to cool.
- Before serving, pour the dressing over cucumber slices and wakame and mix well together. Serve in individual dishes and garnish with ginger on top.
Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link to this post as the original source. Thank you.
Editor’s Note: Photos updated in November 2013