We had some yellowtail sashimi the other day so I made Yellowtail Roll as appetizer.
Unlike other kinds of sushi roll, this thin roll (we call it Hosomaki 細巻き) is really easy to make. Plus, these are not inside-out rolls (裏巻き) which require a bit more practice, so it’s perfect if you are trying to make sushi for the first time.
Worldwide Giveaway at the end of post!
I also want to say thank you for your tremendous support for FishforSushi.com. I am happy to announce that we were able to get volume discount rate for shipping and had reduced the free shipping price to $125.
Remember to place your order by Sunday the 24th to get your order shipped in time for Thanksgiving! Thank you for trusting our product and I hope you enjoyed our high quality sashimi as much as we do!
Now it’s time for WORLDWIDE giveaway! As a woman entrepreneur, I remember the many helping hands when I first started out blogging. To continue paying it forward, I’m trying to do the same for others. Today, the giveaway is courtesy of Kana from PuchiMo, a cute stationary shop featuring original designs! It’s not often that we still hand write letters these days, but if you still enjoy writing letters and mailing it the classic way, you’ll enjoy today’s giveaway. There will be three (3) winners who will receive 3 kinds of unique design letter sets (see more photos in the giveaway post)! Please click HERE to enter to win! It’s open for everyone, WORLDWIDE!
As always, thank you so much for reading!
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 1½ cup cooked Sushi Rice
- 3.3 oz (93g) sashimi grade yellowtail
- 1 sheet nori, cut in half crosswise
- 3 Tbsp. chopped green onion/scallion
- Soy sauce
- Pickled red ginger
- Bamboo mat, covered with plastic wrap
- Tezu (vinegared hand-dipping water): ¼ cup water + 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- Cut the yellowtail into ¼ inch cubes and chop into smaller pieces.
- Lay a sheet of nori, shiny side down, on the plastic covered bamboo mat. Wet your fingers in tezu and spread ¾ cup of the rice evenly onto nori sheet.
- Place half of the chopped yellowtail at the bottom end of the nori sheet.
- Line the edge of nori sheet at the bottom end of the bamboo mat. Grab the bottom edge of the bamboo mat while keeping the fillings in place with your fingers, roll into a tight cylinder. Lift the edge of the bamboo mat and continue to roll it forward while keeping gentle pressure on the mat.
- With a very sharp knife, cut the roll in half and then cut each half into 3-4 pieces. Clean the knife with a damp cloth every few slices. Serve the sushi with pickled ginger, wasabi, and soy sauce.
Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link to this post as the original source. Thank you.