Arroz a la cubana (Cuban-style rice) is a Spanish dish consisting of a fried egg, rice, and tomato sauce and it is very popular in the Philippines and parts of South America. This is a great week night meal since it’s simple and quick to prepare.
When I saw this dish on Skip to Malou, I had to try making it immediately as I have a weak spot for dishes with (runny) fried egg on top of rice. My children liked it because ground meat is easy for them to eat and digest and it’s tomato based. Not to mention there are bananas and raisins in it for additional flavors!
I adapted the original recipe by adding the ground pork, not just ground beef, for flavor and texture. I also added mushrooms and more veggies. It might not be “authentic” but I made sure all the good nutrition is in one dish. I can’t emphasize enough that it’s VERY easy to cook. I hope you give it a try!
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ large onion, chopped
- ½ lb ground beef
- ½ lb ground pork
- ½ carrot, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ zucchini, chopped
- 6 mushrooms
- 1 can (15oz/425g) tomato sauce
- 1 pc. Plantain, sliced (I use nice firm yellow banana)
- 3-4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. raisins
- 3-4 serving cooked/steamed rice
- Fresh parsley
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil and add garlic and bay leaf until fragrant.
- Add the onion and sauté until soft.
- Add the meat and stir until the meat is cooked through.
- Add the carrot, bell pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms and sauté until soft.
- Add tomato sauce and bring it to boil. Skim off the scum and fat from the soup. This is really important step to get refined taste so please don’t skip. After finished, lower the heat to medium low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile you can fry Plantain (banana) and eggs to your liking.
- Add oyster sauce, soy sauce and raisins and stir well.
- Serve rice on a plate/bowl and pour the sauce over. Top it with fried bananas and a sunny side up egg.