Love all things coffee? This chilled coffee jelly is a lovely treat on a hot summer day. Enjoy with a dollop of whipped cream and aromatic coffee bean.
Coffee Jelly (コーヒーゼリー) is a refreshing Japanese dessert which is popular in Japan as well as in some other Asian countries. It’s usually made of black coffee, gelatin powder, and sugar, but today I used agar agar powder instead of gelatin to make it vegetarian friendly.
Watch How to Make Coffee Jelly コーヒーゼリーの作り方
Refreshing chilled coffee jelly recipe topped with delightful whipped cream and coffee bean.
Ways to Enjoy Coffee Jelly
This refreshing dessert can be served solid in glass dishes like how I made them today, or you can pour the coffee mixture in a baking pan, cut into cubes and serve them in a bowl. These half translucent cubes of coffee jelly are sometimes added to milkshakes, ice cream float, or sundaes for additional flavor and texture, and they make the desserts even prettier.
My favorite way to serve coffee jelly is with whipped cream on top. Want a healthier option? Try it with a few tablespoon of half & half instead. You can also serve it with vanilla ice cream to make it into a sundae or with flavored coffee cream.
Coffee jelly is often served in many restaurants and cafes in Japan and you can also find pre-made coffee jelly in an individual plastic cup in supermarkets and convenience stores. However, this coffee jelly recipe is very easy to make and I hope you will try making this dessert from scratch at home!
To quickly update, I donated to International Rescue Committee for March. As I promised, each month 20% of proceeds from selling my eBook will go to charity. Thank you for those who purchased the eCookbook.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 600 ml (2.5 cup) water
- 3 g (1 ½ tsp.) agar agar powder (kanten powder) or ¾ agar (kanten) stick
- 5 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. instant coffee
- In a small saucepan, combine water and agar agar powder and whisk together. Then bring the liquid to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, turn down the heat to simmer. Add sugar and instant coffee and cook stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour into serving dishes. Scoop up any bubbles on the surface with a spoon and discard. Once the coffee jelly cools down, wrap with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours.
- Serve with whipped cream, mint, and a coffee bean on top. The coffee jelly is great with 1-2 Tbsp. of half & half (half milk + half heavy cream) poured on top. You can keep the coffee jelly in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe and link to this post as the original source. Thank you.