Delicious homemade Nutella Banana bread with honey. Easy recipe for breakfast or a quick snack. Top with sliced almonds.
Surprise! It’s one of the rare occasions on Just One Cookbook to have baked recipes featured back to back. I’ve been swamped lately, and I haven’t had the time to write new Japanese recipes that I’ve cooked and photographed.
With the busy schedule, I still try to find time to make and provide my children as many homemade snacks as possible. The Banana Bread I shared a while back is one of their favorites and I’ve given it a twist with this delicious Nutella Banana Bread.
Back in August, I won Grandpa’s Honey giveaway at Tutti Dolci. I typically buy honey from Trader Joe’s but I had been looking for really good honey. This honey was a wonderful discovery – the flavor is so rich, and it has a smooth silky texture and has a nice fragrance to it.
Look at this beautiful golden color of honey… Hmmm, so good!
I’m really hooked on this delicious honey and to thank Laura at Tutti Dolci for this gift, I made this Nutella Banana Bread with this honey, adapted from her Almond Butter Banana Bread.
Can you smell the Nutella and banana combo? Yum… Hope you will enjoy making this for your breakfast or tea time.
I baked this bread in the morning but couldn’t photograph it before my daughter came home from her preschool. After lunch, we did the photoshoot session together.
She was a pretty good assistant, but she insisted that her food styling was photographed. It’s a good memory of our photoshoot sessions together. 🙂
Nutella Banana Bread
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher/sea salt (I use Diamond Crystal; use half for table salt)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp allspice
- ⅓ cup Nutella (5 Tbsp)
- ½ cup honey (8 Tbsp)
- 4 ½ medium banana (1 ½ cup or 450 g of mashed banana)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg (50 g w/o shell)
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 ½ tsp turbinado sugar
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177ºC). For a convection oven, reduce cooking temperature by 25ºF (15ºC). Spray a (9" x 5" or 23 x 13 cm) loaf pan with nonstick spray and place a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice) together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Combine Nutella and honey in a small bowl and heat in the microwave until melted, (about 30 seconds) and cooled slightly.
- Combine mashed banana, buttermilk, egg, and extracts in the medium bowl.
- Add cooled Nutella-honey mixture in the medium bowl.
- Add to flour mixture in the large bowl and stir just until combined.
- Pour batter into the greased loaf pan and top with almonds and turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 350°F (177ºC) for 50-60 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. The bread is ready when an inserted skewer in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.
- Wrap the bread well and store at room temperature up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator up to 4 days. To freeze, wrap tightly in foil or freezer wrap.