Cool and refreshing Apple Walnut Salad in a tart and tasty Greek yogurt dressing.
Many years ago when I first started Just One Cookbook, I had shared a Japanese Apple Salad recipe. It was my mom’s recipe that I had recreated and my family really enjoys it.
Fast forward 4 years and looking at the apple salad recipe, I realized it’s not too healthy with a large amount of mayonnaise used (even though it’s really good!). My goal this time was to recreate the family’s favorite apple salad recipe but make a healthier version.
Healthy and Delicious Apple Walnut Salad
I kept key ingredients for the salad and I ended up with a lighter version of dressing by using mostly non-fat yogurt instead of mayo. Since Japanese mayo is a bit sweet, by replacing it with yogurt, the apple walnut salad is not as sweet. Depending on your preference and what type of apples you use, you can adjust the amount of sugar to the dressing.
You might wonder why I was updating my apple salad recipe out of the blue, and it’s because I am participating in KitchenAid‘s#KitchenAidContest!
A little background first. When I signed up for the challenge a few months ago, I thought my new kitchen will be ready and it shouldn’t be an issue. However, this is what’s happening today.
Unfortunately, the remodeling work is still in progress and I had to get my creative juice flowing. How am I going to create a delicious apple recipe without a functioning kitchen?! No oven, no stove, no sink…and my kitchen tools and utensils are all still packed in the boxes!
Meanwhile, the mysterious black box arrived for the challenge.
When I opened the box, I saw Chef Zakarian holding an apple in his hand, saying “For those who cook, we present a challenge.”
And when I remove the top… I saw A RED SHINY APPLE!!!!! How cool, challenge accepted!
Inspiration for Apple Walnut Salad Recipe
With the apple challenge in front of me, it’s when I realized it’s time to share a new healthier version of my Japanese Apple Salad recipe. So that’s the inspiration behind this new updated “healthier” Apple Walnut Salad recipe.
As it’s been very hot in the Bay Area and my family was craving for a refreshing chilled dish to cool down, the timing for this recipe was just perfect. And I could prepare this dish without a functioning kitchen. 😉
Apple Walnut Salad
- 2 apples
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 celery
- 1 Tbsp raisins
- 1 Tbsp roasted walnuts
- Gather all the ingredients. If your walnuts are not roasted, put them in a frying pan (without oil) and toast on medium heat until fragrant.
- In a large bowl, whisk all the ingredients for Yogurt Dressing.
- Cut the celery diagonally into thin slices. Add to the dressing.
- Cut the apples into quarters and then remove the core. Then cut each quarter into ¼ inch (cm) thick slices. Then cut the slices in half.
- Add the apple slices and 1 Tbsp lemon juice in another bowl and toss all together. This will prevent the apples from turning brown.
- Transfer the apples, leaving the lemon juice behind, to the salad. Then add raisins and walnuts. Toss all together to coat with the dressing. You can chill the salad till serving, or serve immediately.
- You can keep the leftovers in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.