Cool and refreshing Apple Walnut Salad in a tart and tasty Greek yogurt dressing.
Many years ago when I first started Just One Cookbook, I had shared a Japanese Apple Salad recipe. It was my mom’s recipe that I had recreated and my family really enjoys it.
Fast forward 4 years and looking at the apple salad recipe, I realized it’s not too healthy with a large amount of mayonnaise used (even though it’s really good!). My goal this time was to recreate the family’s favorite apple salad recipe but make a healthier version.
Healthy and Delicious Apple Walnut Salad
I kept key ingredients for the salad and I ended up with a lighter version of dressing by using mostly non-fat yogurt instead of mayo. Since Japanese mayo is a bit sweet, by replacing it with yogurt, the apple walnut salad is not as sweet. Depending on your preference and what type of apples you use, you can adjust the amount of sugar to the dressing.
You might wonder why I was updating my apple salad recipe out of the blue, and it’s because I am participating in KitchenAid‘s#KitchenAidContest!
A little background first. When I signed up for the challenge a few months ago, I thought my new kitchen will be ready and it shouldn’t be an issue. However, this is what’s happening today.
Unfortunately, the remodeling work is still in progress and I had to get my creative juice flowing. How am I going to create a delicious apple recipe without a functioning kitchen?! No oven, no stove, no sink…and my kitchen tools and utensils are all still packed in the boxes!
Meanwhile, the mysterious black box arrived for the challenge.
When I opened the box, I saw Chef Zakarian holding an apple in his hand, saying “For those who cook, we present a challenge.”
And when I remove the top… I saw A RED SHINY APPLE!!!!! How cool, challenge accepted!
Inspiration for Apple Walnut Salad Recipe
With the apple challenge in front of me, it’s when I realized it’s time to share a new healthier version of my Japanese Apple Salad recipe. So that’s the inspiration behind this new updated “healthier” Apple Walnut Salad recipe.
As it’s been very hot in the Bay Area and my family was craving for a refreshing chilled dish to cool down, the timing for this recipe was just perfect. And I could prepare this dish without a functioning kitchen. 😉
Japanese Ingredient Substitution: If you want to look for substitutes for Japanese condiments and ingredients, click here.
- 2 apples
- 1 celery
- 1 Tbsp raisin
- 1 Tbsp toasted walnut
- 4 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp milk
- ½ lemon
- kosher/sea salt (I use Diamond Crystal; Use half for table salt)
- freshly ground black pepper
Gather all the ingredients. If your walnuts are not roasted, put them in a frying pan (without oil) and toast on medium heat until fragrant.
- In a large bowl, whisk all the ingredients for Yogurt Dressing.
- Cut the celery diagonally into thin slices. Add to the dressing.
- Cut the apples into quarters and then remove the core. Then cut each quarter into ¼ inch (cm) thick slices. Then cut the slices in half.
- Put the apple slices into another bowl and squeeze half of lemon juice over the apples. Toss the apples to coat with lemon juice. This will prevent the apples from turning brown.
- Add the apples (avoid adding lemon juice), raisins, and walnuts into the bowl. Toss all together to coat with the dressing. You can chill the salad till serving, or serve immediately.
Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link to this post as the original source. Thank you.