Here is the simple instruction on how to make Shiraga Negi, thin long green onion strips we use for garnish.
Here is the simple instruction on how to slice Negi (Japanese long green onion) into Shiraga Negi (white thin strips) for garnishing as you see in the picture above.
How To Make Shiraga Negi (Julienned Long Green Onion)
- 1 negi (long green onion) (use white parts of the green onions/scallions)
- Cut off the green part. We will only need white part of negi (or green onions) for Shiraga Negi. Cut the white part into 2 inch (5 cm) pieces.
- Make an incision lengthwise and remove the soft green core (you can use it for other recipes).
- Open up and stack the white part of negi.
- Cut the white part thinly into thin julienned strips.
- Soak in cold water for 10 minutes to remove bitterness and drain well. We use Shiraga Negi to garnish Chashu, Kakuni, etc.
- Put it in an air-tight container or cover it with plastic and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.