This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for details. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve been still struggling to recover from a recent cold and all I want is to have delicious warm soups. Then I remember that I have this really good Kale Soup recipe post that I haven’t been able to share this summer due to all the BBQ and Ice Cream recipes I posted. Now it seems like a perfect time to share this post as this is a quick, delicious, and nutritious soup!
I saw my friend Patty’s Kale Soup post on her blog Patty’s Food back in May and I was really excited to try this recipe. Kale is a green, leafy vegetable that is part of the cabbage family. Kale provides iron, magnesium, fiber and is loaded with vitamins A and C. I like to make a soup with it or bake it into kale chips.
Speaking of which, my friend Divya from Flavor Fiesta made a really cute video on how to make chipotle-flavored kale chips that I love below.
Back to the Kale Soup, this is a really easy and appetizing soup that I hope you will give it a try. With the leftover Crème Fraîche (the white cream on top of the soup – I bought it at Trader Joe’s.), I baked something with it to be shared on the next post. Have a great week everyone, and stay well!
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes
- ½ onion
- 6 cups baby kale (lightly packed)
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 quart chicken stock/broth (or vegetable stock)
- 6 Tbsp Crème Fraîche (or sour cream, for garnish)
- Mint leaves (for garnish)
Gather all the ingredients.
- Minced the garlic and peel and chop the potatoes and onion. Rinse the kale in running water and drain it well. Remove the thick stems.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a heavy soup pan (I used Le Creuset).
- Add the garlic, onions and potatoes to the soup pan and sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste. Stir and cook for several minutes.
- Add the chicken/vegetable broth and bring it to boil.
- Skim off the scum and fat from the soup until clear in order to get refined taste.
- Gently simmer with the lid on for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes become tender.
- Add the baby kale and cook without the lid for about 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer the soup into a blender and pulverize. Remove the little circle part of your blender top and put a towel over the entire lid of the blender, covering the hole. This will allow the steam to escape so the top won’t pop off.
- Pour the soup back into the soup pan. Adjust the seasoning based on yuur preference and serve into bowls. Garnish with the Crème Fraîche and mint leaves.
Barely adapted from Patty’s Food.
All images and content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link to this post as the original source. Thank you.