Often tucked in sushi rolls or served over rice bowl, this Spicy Tuna is a versatile recipe that you can make into a meal, appetizer, or canapés. With a few simple ingredients, you can prepare this popular Spicy Tuna recipe in 15 minutes!
What’s your favorite sushi roll? I’ve asked this question to JOC readers in the past, and a lot of you answered Spicy Tuna Rolls so I’ve made the recipe and the tutorial video. Today I’m back with the same Spicy Tuna (スパイシーツナ) recipe, but will share other easy ways to enjoy this quick and pretty amazing recipe!
Watch How to Make Spicy Tuna
Often tucked in sushi rolls or served over rice bowl, this Spicy Tuna is a versatile recipe that you can make into a meal, appetizer, or canapés.
3 Easy Ways to Enjoy Spicy Tuna
1. Spicy Tuna Over Rice
Among the three options here, Spicy Tuna Rice Bowl is my favorite because it is absolutely fuss-free. Not only it’s a lot less work than making Spicy Tuna Rolls, I think sashimi goes well with rice better than crackers. Maybe I’m biased, but the combination of melt-in-your-mouth tuna with tender steamed rice makes for a joyful bowl of heaven.
I also like to drizzle a bit of Spicy Mayo on top of the Spicy Tuna to give it some creamy, mild spicy kick. Apparently, when a sushi item is adorned or dressed with spicy mayo, it is given some incredible super names like ‘Volcano’ or ‘Dynamite’. When you order a Spicy Tuna Volcano or Dynamite Roll at a sushi restaurant in the States, you can definitely expect some spicy mayo in it.
2. Spicy Tuna Rolls
You’d probably be surprised that we don’t have Spicy Tuna Rolls in Japan, but it is one of the most popular sushi rolls in the United States. The filling is easy to make and easier to roll. If you’re a beginner to sushi roll making, you can confidently tackle with this one.
I have the recipe on the blog and the tutorial video on my YouTube channel for you to get a headstart.
3. Spicy Tuna with Crackers
If you like to serve an easy finger food at your next party, this one is your pick! Switch up your Cheese and Crackers tradition for a fancy version with this Spicy Tuna with Crackers for a big wow factor. Your guests will be impressed. Keep the sashimi chilled until you’re ready to serve. The cold Spicy Tuna will give some refreshment while it brings some appetite for your main course.
Since tuna is the most important ingredient here, look for well-handled sashimi-grade fish. Pole-caught tuna is ideal as it’s the safest and the most environmentally friendly. You can tell the freshness of the fish by its color too.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
- 4 oz sashimi-grade tuna (113 g)
- 1 ½ Tbsp sriracha sauce (Reduce the amount if you prefer less spicy)
- ½ tsp roasted sesame oil
- 2 green onions/scallions
- 1 tsp toasted white sesame seeds
Spicy Mayo (Optional)
- 1 Tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Cut the green onions, and keep the white part and green part separated. We use the green part for garnish and white part to be mixed in with the tuna.
- Combine 1 ½ Tbsp Sriracha sauce and ½ tsp sesame oil and mix well together.
- Cut the sashimi-grade tuna into small cubes, about ¼ inch pieces.
- Mix the tuna with the sauce and add the white part of the green onion.
- Transfer the spicy tuna in a serving bowl and garnish with the sesame seeds and the green part of the green onion.
- If you like to drizzle some spicy mayo (optional), combine 1 Tbsp Japanese mayo and 1 tsp Sriracha sauce and mix well. Set aside.
- You can serve spicy tuna over rice or inside sushi roll (spicy tuna roll recipe), or with crackers. Drizzle spicy mayo on top.
Our Recommendations for Buying Sashimi Online
When we have a sudden craving for sashimi we usually buy from our local Japanese supermarkets. If you don't have a reliable shop to purchase quality sashimi nearby, we would recommend buying from Catalina Offshore online.
They've been in business for over forty years and all the sashimi products we've tried from them are outstanding. Use J1COOK20 for 10% discount. Disclosure: We earn a small percentage commission from your purchase of products linked to Catalina Offshore.