It’s very convenient to use Japanese Curry Sauce Mix (curry roux カレールー) to make Japanese curry (Curry Rice/Kare Raisu/カレーライス). These days we can find the many varieties of Japanese roux in the Asian isle in American supermarkets.
However, making the curry roux from scratch is not difficult at all and only takes a few ingredients. Let’s make homemade curry roux today!
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 Tbsp. garam masala
- ¼ tsp.+ cayenne pepper (optional for spicy)
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium low heat.
- When the butter is completely melted, add the flour.
- Stir to combine the butter and flour. Soon the butter and flour fuse and swell. Do not stop stirring because the roux will easily burn.
- After 20-30 minutes, the roux will turn to light brown color. Add the curry powder, garam masala and cayenne pepper.
- Cook and stir for 30 seconds and remove from the heat. If you don't use it immediately, let it cool in an airtight container with lid and store in refrigerator for a month or freezer for 3-4 months.
- Use in Japanese Curry recipe like this one. This roux is good for 4 cups of liquid in the curry recipe.