A quick and easy Beef Donburi using homemade Shiso Garlic Soy Sauce!
I hope everyone had a great Easter weekend. This past Saturday my Chicken Adobo made it Top 9 dish on Foodbuzz. To me and my husband, it was really like winning the lottery because we didn’t expect it at all. I would like to thank all my readers for visiting my site. I’ve been working hard for my website and I really appreciate your time here. And for those of you who found me through the Foodbuzz Top 9 link, welcome! I am sincerely happy if you enjoy my website and recipes.
Now let’s talk about today’s recipe. In my previous post (just below), I talked about this great sauce called Shiso Garlic Soy Sauce. Today’s recipe is a Beef Donburi using this sauce.
Wish to learn more about Japanese cooking? Sign up for our free newsletter to receive cooking tips & recipe updates! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, and Instagram.
Beef Donburi with Shiso Garlic Soy Sauce
- ½ onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 potato (cut into thin strips)
- neutral-flavored oil (vegetable, rice bran, canola, etc.) (for sauteing)
For the Beef Mixture
- ¾ lb thinly sliced beef (chuck or rib eye) (I used thinly sliced "Shabu Shabu" beef from a grocery store; cut into strips)
- 1 Tbsp sake
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp potato starch or cornstarch
For Donburi Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp Shiso Garlic Soy Sauce (homemade)
- 3 servings cooked Japanese short-grain rice (1 ½ rice-cooker-cups (180 ml x 1.5 = 270 ml) yields roughly 3 servings (3 US cups); see how to cook short-grain rice with a rice cooker, a pot over the stove, an instant pot, or a donabe)
- In a large bowl, combine meat mixture and mix well with your hands.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat the oil on medium heat. Add the onion and potato and cook until they are tender.
- Add the meat to the pan and cook thoroughly until the meat is cooked through.
- Add sugar and Shiso Garlic Soy Sauce and mix all together.
- Let it simmer for a few minutes. Put rice in a donburi bowl and serve the beef mixture over the rice. [optional] Take out shiso from the Shiso Garlic Soy Sauce and cut into thin strips. Put them on top of the beef and serve immediately.
- You can keep the leftovers in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for a month.