Today I want to share a very quick and easy grilled fish recipe. Grilled Mackerel or Saba Shioyaki (鯖の塩焼き) is one of the more popular seafood dishes served as an entree or part of a bento combination in Japanese restaurants here in the U.S.
Before I continue with the recipe, I want to apologize for being absent here for more than a week and I’m very sorry for not being able to respond to your messages and questions.
I was planning to take a short break from blogging while my children are on spring break this week. But before I had a chance to give a vacation notice on my blog, my daughter got pretty sick for several days. Before she got fully recover, I ended up getting sick from her and followed by my son. Therefore I needed a little bit more time off to get fully recovered and take care of my son.
During this time my blog has actually moved for 4th time to a dedicated server, and hopefully this should resolve server load issue. Once again, I apologize for my late responses and I will get back to you as soon as I get better.
Meanwhile please enjoy this delicious Grilled Mackerel recipe. Take good care everyone and enjoy the spring weather!
- 2 fillets of mackerel (saba)
- 2 Tbsp. sake
- Grated radish and soy sauce for garnish
- Rinse the fish under cold water and then quickly run the fish in a bowl of sake.
- Pat dry with paper towel.
- Generously salt both side of the fish and let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. ).
- After 20 minutes… you should see the fish expel water, which makes the flesh denser.
- Wipe off any excess moisture on the fish.
- Preheat the toaster oven to 400F (200C).* Place the fish skin side down on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper (spray or brush oil so it doesn't stick). Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through.
- Grate a piece of daikon using a coarse grater (the one with circle holes). Serve the grilled mackerel with grated daikon on the side. Pour a few drops of soy sauce on grated daikon before you eat. Enjoy eating the combination of the fish and grated daikon together.