For a quick delicious bento side dish, try this bacon wrapped asparagus. Roll them up with a toothpick, it will be the favorite item to devour on.
When you need more side dishes to pack in your bento, here’s a quick and delicious recipe.
Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus is a quick dish you can make in just a few minutes. I always keep a bag of bacon in the refrigerator. The salty goodness make it such a great add-on for all sorts of dishes. If you don’t have asparagus, you can be creative and use other ingredients to wrap the bacon with. I like wrapping bacon with enoki or shimeji mushrooms, prawns, and scallops.
For this recipe, I used a frying pan instead of oven to cook bacon-wrapped asparagus. The ingredients inside bacon should be either pre-cooked or can be cooked thoroughly in a short time.
This recipe comes in handy when you need just a small side dish to pack in bento. For more bento side dishes, check out this page for ideas.
- 1 spear asparagus (end trimmed off)
- 1 slice bacon (center cut, cut in half)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Gather all the ingredients. You will need toothpicks.
- Cut the asparagus into 1 ½ inch (3.8 cm) pieces.
- Blanch the asparagus in a saucepan until tender. Or you can put the asparagus in a microwave-safe bowl filled with water and cover with plastic wrap, and then microwave it until tender (just 30-60 seconds for a few asparagus).
- Place 3 pieces of asparagus on each bacon and wrap the bacon around asparagus; secure ends with a toothpick.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and cook the bacon wrapped asparagus until bacon is crispy. Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper.