Japanese make pretty decoration out of food. Dress up your bento with a ham flower by following these simple steps.
One simple way to dress up your bento lunch is by making Ham Flowers. All you need is one or two slices of ham and a knife!
I added a red radish in the center to make it look more like a flower and to give some accent, but it’s optional. I also used a toothpick to secure the ham, but if you pack tightly in a bento box you don’t need to do so.
Hope this ham flower comes in handy to add a little touch to your bento!
- 1 red radish
- 1 slice ham
- Gather all the ingredients. You will need a toothpick.
- Cut the red radish to create 2 center parts for the ham flowers.
- Cut the ham in half, and then fold each piece in half.
- Make small inserts every ⅛ inch (3 mm) along the folded edge with a knife.
- Flip over to other side and fold in half. This way, the “petals” will look more fluffy.
- Place the red radish at the end of ham and start rolling using the radish as a core.
- When the ham is all rolled up, use a toothpick to secure ends. Repeat for the other ham.
- Put it in your lunch box.