As I mentioned in my previous post, I wanted to share a recipe using leftover Crème Fraîche from the Kale Soup. I don’t really have any recipes on hand to use up Crème Fraîche, so on my way to drop off my children at schools I had asked my husband to search for a recipe (ahem, that’s called a multi-tasking, right?). He then responded with this Blueberry Crème Fraîche Scones recipe.
Most blueberry scone recipes require some heavy cream or sour cream, but I’d never seen one that required Crème Fraîche before. I thought I should give it a try, so I did. They weren’t professionally done because this was my very first attempt making homemade scones from scratch. But my children and I liked them and we had a nice snack time (tea time for me).
After my first trial, I bought a dough blender so I’m now better equipped and will experiment more to create the perfect scone recipe. These scones are delicious and the recipe is very easy to follow. If you have leftover Crème Fraîche like I did, try making some homemade scone for afternoon tea time or breakfast. Enjoy!
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cup blueberries (picture shows 2 cups, but I just needed 1 ½ cup)
- 1 egg plus 1 yolk
- 7.5 oz. crème fraîche
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Sugar (demerara/turbinado sugar) for sprinkling (I did not have it today)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl to blend.
- Cut butter into small pieces.
- Add the butter in the bowl and rub in butter with fingertips until mixture resembles fine meal.
- Whisk eggs, crème fraîche and vanilla.
- Gently stir crème fraîche mixture into flour mixture (dough will be very moist).
- Add the blueberries and mix well.
- Turn dough out onto generously floured work surface. Divide dough in half. Press each half into 6-inch round about ½ inch thick. Cut each round into 6 wedges.
- Transfer wedges to baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart. Generously sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake scones until pale golden and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Serve scones warm or at room temperature.