Apple bunnies or apple rabbits are apple slices with its peel cut to resemble cute rabbit ears. Adapt the shape of ears and size of apples according to the size of your bento box. These cute little bunnies will definitely brighten your bento!
Apple Bunny (Apple Rabbit)
- 1 apple
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp kosher/sea salt (I use Diamond Crystal; use half for table salt) (0.5% salt water for 1 apple)
- Cut an apple into eight wedges and remove the core.
- Score a shallow V-shape incision in the apple skin, just enough depth so skin can be removed.
- Run the knife just under the apple peel (as if you peel apple skin normally), stopping at the base of the v-shape. The excess part will come off. If not, score a v-shape incision again until the excess part comes off.
- To prevent browning, immediately soak in salt water for 10 seconds, or till you finish preparing apple bunnies (you do not need to soak for a long time).
- Adapt the shape of ears and size of apples according to your bento box.