Kinshi Tamago (錦糸卵) is a shredded garnish made from paper-thin, cooked eggs. Use it for Chirashi Sushi and Temari sushi. It’s easy to make and can be frozen for up to 4 weeks!
Usuyaki Tamago (薄焼き卵) is a paper-thin cooked omelet (before thinly slicing to make Kinshi Tamago). We often use it to wrap Temari Sushi.
It’s not hard to make but if it’s your first time trying, you probably need to practice a bit as the thinness of the crepe is the key and you need to get a hang of it until you learn how much egg mixture is needed for the size of your frying pan.
Kinshi Tamago (Shredded Egg Crepe Garnish) and Usuyaki Tamago (Egg Crepe)
- Gather all the ingredients.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the whisk and add the rest of ingredients until well combined.
- Strain the egg mixture through a sieve at least one time to get a silky smooth texture.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat. Prepare a moisten towel and place it on the countertop. Dip a small piece of paper towel in vegetable oil and apply a thin layer of oil to the pan.
To Cook Egg Crepe
- Before it gets too hot, pour a small amount of the egg mixture into the pan and quickly swirl it around by tilting the pan in all directions. You will know how much egg mixture is required to get the perfect thickness by practicing a couple of times.
- Then turn off the heat and cover. Transfer the pan on top of the wet towel to stop browning the egg.
- Keep the lid on for 1-2 minutes or until the egg is solidified. The edges are drier so you can use a chopstick or spatula to lift the egg. It should come off nicely. If the egg is not cooked completely, then flip the egg and cook on low heat for a little bit.
- Transfer the egg onto a paper towel and let it cool. You can put the paper towel over two chopsticks. With this method, heat will escape from the bottom of the egg and cool faster. Repeat this process until all the egg mixture has been used. If there is a burnt spot on the pan, make sure you wipe off cleanly or wash it before working on the next batch. Don’t forget to re-oil between batches.
To Make Kinshi Tamago (Shredded Egg Crepe Garnish)
- When it’s completely cool down, fold in half, and then roll a crepe into a tight roll from the bottom. With a sharp knife, cut into thin julienne strips.
- You can freeze Kinshi Tamago for up to 4 weeks. When you are ready to use, defrost naturally or microwave.