The lack of exercise along with late night blogging and snacking at weird hours this past year added some pounds on me. Therefore my only new year resolution for 2012 is to live and eat healthy by sleeping earlier, doing exercise regularly, and controlling the portion of food I eat. I think we eat pretty healthy since I cook almost every meals and the majority of meals are low fat Japanese dishes. However, I do have some weakness. I love rice, pasta, bread…all kinds of carbs. It’s so hard to stop eating them once I have one bite.
With this new year resolution, I purposely avoided pasta dishes for a while. Then a few weeks ago I saw this post from my fellow blogger friend Katerhine’s blog, Katherine Martinelli, and I decided to take a break from my new year resolution and cook this. This recipe calls for ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. Nothing fancy, just a couple of ingredients you normally use. Toss everything in the pan and add cooked pasta, and it’s done! It’s the day after busy weekend and you don’t know what to cook for dinner? Here it is, cook this simple and delicious pasta. Your dinner is ready in 30 minutes!
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 2 servings spaghetti
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices applewood smoked bacon (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ onion (chopped)
- ½ tsp red chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice (1 can = 14.5 oz)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
Gather all the ingredients.
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling water until al dente.
- When it’s done, reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water and drain. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil on medium heat in a skillet and add the bacon. Cook until just browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the red chili pepper flakes, tomatoes, and 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water and stir to combine.
- Allow to simmer, and then cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Make sure the sauce has good strong flavor, so when you add pasta it balance out the flavor.
- Add the spaghetti and parsley and toss to coat.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan and serve immediately.
Barely adapted from Katherine Martinelli.
All images and content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe and link to this post as the original source. Thank you.