We refer “sauce” (pronounced So-su in Japanese) as a thicker version of Worcestershire sauce. So-su (ソース) comes in three types: thin, medium-thick, and extra thick.
- Thin sauce – Usutah So-su (ウスターソース) similar to Worcestershire sauce but a bit sweeter.
- Medium-thick sauce – Chuno So-su (中濃ソース)
- Thick sauce – Tonkatsu So-su (とんかつソース) which is used for dishes like Tonkatsu. The major sauce brand in Japan is called Bulldog (see the picture above).
Tonkatsu Sauce Recipe
You can make tonkatsu sauce at home using other condiments you have. For Tonkatsu Sauce and Okonomi Sauce recipe, click here.
Other Similar Sauces (So-su) in Japan
- Okonomi Sauce for Okonomiyaki similar to Tonkatsu sauce
- Yakisoba Sauce for Yakisoba Noodles
- Takoyaki Sauce for Takoyaki