A sweet and savory brown sauce, tonkatsu sauce is specifically for tonkatsu.
We refer “sauce” (pronounced So-su in Japanese) as a thicker version of Worcestershire sauce. So-su (ソース) comes in three types: thin, medium-thick, and extra thick.
- Thin sauce – Usutah So-su (ウスターソース) similar to Worcestershire sauce but a bit sweeter.
- Medium-thick sauce – Chuno So-su (中濃ソース)
- Thick sauce – Tonkatsu So-su (とんかつソース) which is used for dishes like Tonkatsu. The major sauce brand in Japan is called Bull-Dog Vegetable & Fruit Sauce (Tonkatsu Sauce) (see the picture above).
Homemade Tonkatsu Sauce Recipe
You can make tonkatsu sauce at home using other condiments you have. For Tonkatsu Sauce recipe, click here.
Recipes Using Tonkatsu Sauce
Other Similar Sauces (So-su) in Japan
- Okonomi Sauce for Okonomiyaki similar to Tonkatsu sauce
- Yakisoba Sauce for Yakisoba Noodles
- Takoyaki Sauce for Takoyaki
Wish to learn more about Japanese cooking? Sign up for our free newsletter to receive cooking tips & recipe updates! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, and Instagram.