This recipe shows you how to make a quick & easy Tonkatsu Sauce from scratch. Serve it with tonkatsu or other deep-fried dishes.
Tonkatsu Sauce mainly consists of vegetables and fruits such as tomatoes, prunes, dates, apples, lemon juice, carrots, onions, and celery. It also includes more than 10 kinds of spices along with soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar. It’s a lot of work to make it from scratch, but you can definitely make a simplified version that tastes just as good to go with your homemade tonkatsu.
To make a quick & easy Tonkatsu sauce :
Combine ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, oyster sauce and sugar in a small bowl & whisk well. Taste and adjust any seasonings to your liking.
The popular Tonkatsu Sauce brand is Bulldog (see below) which you can find in a Japanese or Asian supermarket.
Okonomiyaki Sauce / Okonomi Sauce
If you’re looking for Okonomiyaki Sauce, click here for the recipe.
Japanese Ingredient Substitution: If you want to look for substitutes for Japanese condiments and ingredients, click here.
This recipe shows you how to make a quick & easy Tonkatsu Sauce from scratch. Serve it with tonkatsu or other deep fried dishes.
- 1 Tbsp ketchup (Some ketchup is sweeter than others, so please adjust the amount of sugar)
- 2 ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce (I use Japanese brand "Bulldog" Worcestershire sauce (Usuta-so-su, ウスターソース), which is milder and less sour than Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce. Please adjust the taste.)
- 1 ½ tsp oyster sauce (If you're allergic to shellfish, use LEE KUM KEE Vegetarian Stir-Fry Sauce)
- 1 ⅛ tsp sugar (Add more sugar, if needed)
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. Adjust the sauce according to your liking.
You can store in an airtight container and keep in the refrgerator for up to 2-3 weeks or freezer for 3-4 months.
Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link to this post as the original source. Thank you.
Delicious Recipes to Go with Tonkatsu Sauce:
- Crispy Baked Tonkatsu
- Chicken Katsu
- Baked Croquette (Japanese Mashed Potato & Meat Cutlet)
- Ham Katsu