This recipe shows you how to make Okonomiyaki Sauce that is drizzled over the delicious Japanese savory pancake, Okonomiyaki. You need only 4 ingredients to make this simple Japanese condiment!
When I make Okonomiyaki at home, I often whisk up the sauce quickly to serve with the pancake. Homemade version is always the best as you can adjust the taste to your liking.
To make Okonomiyaki sauce :
For a basic recipe of this essential condiment, all you need is ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, oyster sauce and sugar (or honey). Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk well together. Have a taste and adjust any seasonings if needed. It’s that simple!
If you prefer, you can also purchase this Otafuku Okonomi Sauce from a Japanese grocery store or Amazon.
Homemade Okonomiyaki Sauce
- 4 Tbsp ketchup (Some ketchup is sweeter than others, so please adjust the amount of sugar)
- 3 ½ Tbsp Worcestershire sauce (Japanese brand "Bulldog" Worcestershire sauce (Usuta-so-su, ウスターソース) is milder and less sour than Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce)
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce (If you're allergic to shellfish, use LEE KUM KEE Vegetarian Stir-Fry Sauce)
- 1 ½ Tbsp sugar (Add more sugar, if needed)
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. Adjust the sauce according to your liking.