Refreshing tuna poke with avocado, lemon juice, and ogo seaweed, marinated in spicy soy sauce, and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Today I’m sharing a very popular Hawaiian dish called Ahi Tuna Poke (Pokē) which consists of cubed raw ahi tuna/yellowfin tuna marinated in soy sauce, sesame oil, sea salt, some seaweed, and chili pepper.
Traditional poke consists of sliced fillet served with sea salt, seaweed, and limu, but there are many variations of the modern Poke like my recipe today. My husband loves Poke and we sometimes prepare differently with diced tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, and so on.
I bought this Poke Mix which already includes Ogo seaweed (orognori). If you are vegetarian or don’t eat raw fish, you can easily substitute the tuna with tofu.
- ¼ lb sushi-grade tuna
- 1 avocado
- lemon juice
- 1 green onion/scallion
- ½ Tbsp ogo seaweed
- Gather all the ingredients.
- If your tuna is not cubed (I bought pre-cut tuna sashimi from a Japanese market), dice it into ½ inch (1.3 cm) square pieces across the grain.
- Soak ogo seaweed in water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and chop into small pieces.
- Slice avocado into cubes and scoop up with a spoon.
- Squeeze some lemon juice on avocado to keep it from turning brown.
- Slice the green onion into small pieces.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the seasonings and toss all together.
- Serve on a plate (you do not need to marinade) and sprinkle roasted white sesame seeds and shichimi togarashi.
- I recommend consuming sashimi-grade tuna in 24 hours. Keep them in the refrigerator until serving.
Our Recommendations for Buying Sashimi Online
When we have a sudden craving for sashimi we usually buy from our local Japanese supermarkets. If you don't have a reliable shop to purchase quality sashimi nearby, we would recommend buying from Catalina Offshore online.
They've been in business for over forty years and all the sashimi products we've tried from them are outstanding. Use J1COOK20 for 10% discount. Disclosure: We earn a small percentage commission from your purchase of products linked to Catalina Offshore.