Ginger Miso Marinade has the flavor pyramid covered from top to bottom with garlic & ginger, sesame oil & soy sauce, spicy chili paste, and sweet white miso. Slather on chicken breast and grill it up for an out of this world Grilled Miso Chicken!
A simple Japanese marinade with a punch of flavors, ginger miso marinade is perfect for the BBQ season. To make your summer meals even more special, I want to share this absolutely delicious Grilled Miso Chicken recipe using the marinade. I use miso in so many of my Japanese recipes (miso is so versatile!), and today I used Hikari Miso‘s organic white miso to make this to die for ginger miso marinade.
What is White Miso?
Like the color suggests, white miso is a sweeter, milder miso paste. It’s made from fermented soy beans and rice, but not fermented for too long, so the flavor remains light and versatile. You will find me using white miso on many Japanese recipes on Just One Cookbook.
For grilled chicken recipes, I generally use chicken thighs because it is more flavorful and juicier than chicken breasts. However, today I made Grilled Miso Chicken using chicken breasts, which can be just as good if you put your mallet skills to work. The key is to pound the breast fillets well, so they cook fast and even. You want to prevent overcooking and drying out the meat. Also, if the chicken is not pounded down evenly, some parts may be under-cooked while other parts are overcooked.
I’ve made this recipe a few times and every time I was surprised to see how juicy and tender and flavorful it was! You can get the Grilled Miso Chicken recipe HERE over at the Hikari Miso’s website. I served the chicken breast with Massaged Kale Salad with Mango and you can find that recipe here. Enjoy!
Hikari Miso products are now available on Amazon. You can also buy Hikari Miso products in Japanese grocery stores (my local Japanese and Asian stores carry their product).
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Hikari Miso. To read more about my partnership with Hikari Miso (press release), click HERE.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (1 lb = 2 fillets)
- Mix all ingredients for ginger miso sauce together in a small bowl.
- Place chicken breasts between 2 pieces of wax paper or parchment paper. Using a meat mallet, pound the chicken breasts to an even 1/2-inch thickness.
- Put the chicken breasts in a large zipped plastic bag and add the sauce. Rub marinade into meat until evenly coated. Seal the bag and marinade at least 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat an outdoor grill to high. Spray the grates with cooking spray or soak paper towel in olive oil and rub over grates several times until coated.
- Place the chicken breasts on the hot grate, and grill the breasts until cooked, about 4 minutes per side. To test for doneness, poke a breast with your finger. It should feel firm to the touch.
- Transfer the breasts to plates.
- Serve with steamed rice or salad.
Miso: I used Organic Miso White Type.
Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link to this post as the original source. Thank you.