Sweet and flavorful honey soy sauce chicken bento with sauteed cabbage, Tamagoyaki, tomatoes, and fresh fruits. Enjoy with onigiri.
Since I pack my kids lunch boxes almost every single day, leftovers often come to the rescue on busy weeks that are packed with activities. I just need to double the batch of our dinner and use the leftovers in the bento. One of the easiest bento boxes which happens to be my kids’ favorite is this Honey Soy Sauce Chicken Bento.
Repurpose Leftover For Delicious Chicken Bento
Marinated in soy sauce, sake and honey, the Honey Soy Sauce Chicken makes a truly simple meal for weeknight dinner. With only 4 ingredients, it takes less than 10 minutes to prep. Before dinner, simply pop the chicken in the oven for 20-30 minutes and bake until golden brown. Whenever I make this recipe, I always double the drumettes so I can stretch them for the next day.
Here’s how I pack their bento boxes by repurposing the honey soy sauce chicken:
- Onigiri (rice ball)
- Honey Soy Sauce Chicken, bone removed
- Quick and Easy Tamagoyaki (Japanese Rolled Omelette)
- Sauteed cabbage, seasoned with salt and pepper
- Various fresh fruits
If you are new to packing lunches and interested in making bento-style lunch, check out my short video below on How To Make Bento.
Watch How to Make Bento Video Tutorial
You could put chicken drumetts directly in the bento, but knowing how slooooow my children eat, I removed the meat off from bone so that they can finish their lunch quicker.
In the morning, I reheated the chicken (for food safety reason) and made Onigiri, Tamagoyaki, and sauteed cabbage. With all the colorful fruits and tomato added to bento box, the “leftover” lunch now is a beautiful healthy balanced meal.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- Make Onigiri (Rice Ball) and let it cool.
- Make Tamagoyaki (see how to make Quick & Easy Tamagoyaki).
- In the same flying pan, heat oil to sautee shredded cabbage. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a silicon cup.
- In the same pan, reheat leftover Honey Soy Sauce Chicken until it's warm thoroughly.
- Wash mini tomato and fruits and cut them if necessary.
- Start packing cooled foods into bento box.
- Cool down completely before closing the bento box.
Please read FOOD SAFETY TIPS.
Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link to this post as the original source. Thank you.