Easy Honey Soy Chicken marinated in sake, soy sauce, and honey. Quick and simple meal for a weeknight dinner.
Every home cook needs some reliable chicken recipes to keep in the rotation for busy weeknights. So today I am going to share my super easy Honey Soy Chicken recipe which requires minimal ingredients and prepping. Savory and sticky sweet, my family never seem to have enough of these chicken whenever I cook up a batch. I hope the recipe will come in handy on your busy day too.
Marinade for Easy Honey Soy Chicken
Soy sauce, sake and honey is really all you need for this tasty marinade. You can use any cuts of chicken – breasts, thighs, drumsticks or wings – for the recipe. I used drumettes for its tender dark meat and quick cooking time.
The prep work is as easy as stirring together the mixture in a large ziplock bag, add in the chicken, making sure each piece is well coated and let marinade. When ready to cook, just pop them into the oven and bake for 30 minutes until golden. While the chicken is baking, you can prepare rice, some salad, and miso soup. A delicious, healthy dinner is ready for the family in no time. If you like to fire up the grill, this recipe works great too.
The saltiness from the soy sauce and slight sweetness from honey not only impart a wonderful flavor to the chicken, but also a shiny golden glaze on the surface. The results are tender, juicy drumettes that everyone will love.
When all you want is a delicious meal on the table without having to think too hard, this Honey Soy Sauce Chicken makes an ideal candidate for a weeknight dinner. Because they are so fun to eat, my family also enjoy them on movie night.
Honey Soy Chicken Leftover
If you cook up a big batch for leftover, you can shred the chicken into pieces and pack into bento lunch box with tamagoyaki (Japanese Rolled Omelette), cherry tomatoes, shredded cabbage and onigiri. Enjoy!
On a different note, Just One Cookbook made it to Babble’s Top 100 Mom Food Blogs of 2013! Thank you so much for reading and supporting Just One Cookbook!
- 1.5 lb chicken drumettes (680 g, 12 pieces) (or other chicken parts, see Notes)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Gather all the ingredients.
- Rinse the drumettes under cold water and pat dry.
- Combine the seasonings in a Ziploc bag. A little tip: I keep the measuring cup upside down to get the last drop of honey while I do next step.
- Prick the drumettes all over with a fork and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the drumettes in the Ziploc bag and squeeze the air out, zip up the bag . Coat the drumettes with marinade all around by rubbing them. Marinate for at least 30-60 minutes and of course you can marinade overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C). Place the drumettes in a baking pan. Make sure the drumettes are not overlapping each other and the skin side is up. Pour the marinade liquid over top. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Baste the drumettes a couple of times during the baking. If the drumettes are done and the top is not browned, you can change the oven setting to broil until the top is nicely browned. If the top is browned too fast while baking, cover with a sheet of aluminum foil to stop the chicken from burning. Serve immediately.
Chicken: If you use drumsticks, marinade overnight for more flavor.
Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link to this post as the original source. Thank you.