My family loves Chicken Karaage and I often try to make different variations of it. As I love Thai food and sweet chili sauce is definitely one of my favorite condiments, this recipe was created.
The sauce can be a little bit spicy for small children, so I serve the karaage to my kids first and then I coat the karaage with sweet chili sauce for my husband and myself. Once you start eating this dish, it’s hard to stop… I hope you enjoy this dish as much as we do!
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 2 Tbsp. sake
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- ½ tsp. grated ginger
- 5 skinless & boneless organic chicken thighs (1 package from Costco), rinsed, pat dry, cut into small pieces
- 1 ½ cup corn starch (more or less)
- 2+ cups oil for deep frying (I use Canola oil)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. cilantro, stems discarded and chopped
- ½ cup (8 Tbsp.) sweet chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp. water
- In a medium bowl, combine sake, soy sauce and ginger, and marinate the chicken in it. Keep in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium high heat. Prepare corn starch in a small bowl.
- When the oil is hot (Tip: You put a chopstick in the oil and when you see the bubbles around it, it’s ready!), dredge a piece of chicken in corn starch. Make sure chicken is all covered by the corn starch so when you put the chicken into the wok, oil won’t splatter. Place 5-8 chicken slowly into the wok. Do not crowd the wok.
- Deep fry the chicken over medium to medium high heat for about 6-8 minutes. If the chicken gets brown too quickly, take it out and lower the heat a little bit and put it back in. You want to make sure inside the chicken is cooked through.
- When the chicken is cooked and nicely brown, take it out from oil and place it on paper towel. Repeat this process until all the chicken is done.
- In a frying pan, combine the sauce ingredients, green onions, and cilantro and mix over medium heat. When the sauce is bubbling, add the chicken and coat well with the sauce. Garnish with cilantro and Serve immediately.