My kids love chicken wings. I usually use drumettes for them so they can easily enjoy these mini-drumsticks. This recipe was originally from my Japanese friend who used to live in San Francisco because of her husband’s work.
My friend and I had our first and second kids around the same time (then she had third) and our kids played really well together. Since she’s shared this original version with me, I changed the recipe to fit my family’s taste. The recipe is very easy to prepare and I hope you will like these wings. The combination of garlic, miso, soy sauce, and mirin is simply amazing!
Garlic Miso Chicken Wings
- Gather all the ingredients.
To Marinate the Wings
- Pat dry the chicken with paper towels and prick the wings with a fork. I recommend this extra step especially if you're using skin-on and bone-in chicken. Transfer the wings to a resealable plastic bag.
- Mince the garlic (I use a garlic press). Combine the garlic and miso together in a small bowl.
- Add the miso mixture into the bag and rub the wings from outside the bag. Keep in the fridge for at least 6 hours (preferably overnight).
- About 3 hours before cooking, add soy sauce and mirin in the bag and mix well. Keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook.
To Cook the Wings
- Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil (so that you don’t have to clean later) and put an oven-safe wire rack on top. Place the chicken on the rack skin side down first. Remove the miso marinade as much as possible as miso gets burnt easily.
- Set the oven broiler to high (550ºF/288 ºC) for 3 minutes before cooking. Place the baking sheet in the middle rack of the oven, about 8" (20 cm) away from the heating element. Cook for 9-10 minutes, until nicely brown and crispy, and then flip the chicken to cook the other side (skin side) for another 9-10 minutes. Watch the chicken carefully not to burn; if your oven is small/strong, try broiling at medium (500ºF/260ºC) or lower the rack.
- If you don't have a broiler: You can bake it instead. Bake at 425-450 ºF (220-230 ºC) for 45 minutes. Monitor the cooking time – the chicken is cooked through when internal temp is 165 ºF (74 ºC).
- For chicken thigh or breast: Preheat oven to 425 ºF (220 ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the meat on top. Bake for 30-40 minutes (depending on the part and thickness). Turn the chicken over halfway during the cooking process.
- For chicken drumstick: Preheat oven to 425 ºF (220 ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the meat on top. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until internal temp is 165 ºF (74 ºC). Turn the chicken over halfway during the cooking process.
- Serve immediately.
- You can keep the leftovers in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for a month.