Mango Lassi Popsicles – sweet, creamy, colorful, and impossible to limit yourself to just one.
I really really enjoyed these Mango Lassi Popsicles, and if you love mango, you will love these popsicles. But they’re all gone now, and I am dreaming of tasting them again. Recently, my relationship with my beloved mangoes ended, and it came without any warning.
It can happen to anyone, just like it happened to me. Got your attention? Good. Here’s the story.
It happened on a Thursday night. My family is crazy about mango, so we always have them at home during mango season. I had cut three mangoes after dinner and my children ate some while I was cleaning up the kitchen. After they went to bed, I came downstairs and saw some leftover mangoes on the plate. I ate a few pieces and kept most of them for my husband. Shortly after, all of a sudden I felt a big knot form in my throat.
I knew something strange was happening. I felt like a lump had grown out of nowhere in my throat and I could barely swallow. I told my husband about this discomfort and he told me to take allergy medicine right away. We then of course looked it up on the Internet and found out that some people can get an allergic reaction to mangoes, but the usual symptom was swollen lips.
My lips were fine, and I looked normal from the outside – well except for the fear on my face. But when I opened my mouth, it looked like my cheeks were also swollen. And then when I brushed my teeth, my mouth was numb.
On the next day I went to see my doctor to make sure I didn’t get food poisoning, and she told me the worst news ever: I’m allergic to mangoes! In fact I was the second patient that week who came to see her due to mango allergy. Really? I am suddenly allergic to mangoes even after eating mangoes fine for YEARS!?!?
The doctor told me, “No more mangoes for you. You were lucky this time.” She said the condition could be deadly if my throat got too swollen and blocked the airway.
I was in shock. I couldn’t believe that I could have been dead just from eating mangoes and that I cannot eat them anymore, for the rest of my life.
So long, my favorite Mango Lassi Popsicles! I really wished that I had 100 of these delicious popsicles before I got allergic to mangoes. But then I probably wouldn’t be talking to you now.
So consider this an urgent notice – make these Mango Lassi Popsicles now to enjoy before it’s too late!
Mango Lassi Popsicles
- 2 mangoes
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup Simple Syrup (homemade or store bought)
- Gather all the ingredients. I use these Tovolo Groovy Ice Pop Molds and paper cups.
- Cut the mangoes into chunks and put in in the blender. Add 1 Tbsp of simple syrup and puree until it turns creamy.
- In a large measuring cup, add ⅓ cup of Greek yogurt. Then pour the mango puree on top.
- Add enough simple syrup to the mixture so that you have 2 cups (480 ml) total.
- Pour into a large bowl and whisk it all together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together ⅔ cup Greek yogurt and the leftover simple syrup.
- Now you have yogurt mixture and mango mixture. Place both mixtures in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes until they are a little more firm (for nice marbling).
- Add the mixture to your popsicle mold/cup, alternating between the mango mixture and the yogurt mixture. Wrap each mold/cup with plastic wrap.
- Snip the plastic wrap on top of molds with scissors and insert craft sticks into each mold/cup. Place in the freezer for 4-5 hours until firm.
- To remove the Popsicles from the molds/cups, run under hot water until they are easily released. Enjoy!