Japanese use sliced meat for a lot of dishes, and we like to roll other ingredients with the sliced meat. We get creative with ingredients and sauce and make different recipes. Here, I roll mashed potato with sliced pork.
Mashed Potato Teriyaki Pork Rolls
For Mashed Potatoes
- 1 potato (peeled and quartered)
- 1 green onions/scallions (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the teriyaki sauce.
- In a saucepan, put the potatoes and cover them with water. Boil until a skewer goes through the potatoes easily. Drain the hot water completely and mash potatoes in the saucepan. Add salt, pepper, butter, and green onions. Mix all together.
- Take a small portion of mashed potato and squeeze a little bit to put it together. Place the mashed potato at the edge of sliced pork and roll it.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. When the pan is hot, gently add the pork rolls in the pan, placing the sealing side bottom first. Cook until all sides are nicely browned.
- Add the teriyaki sauce and coat the meat well with the sauce. Transfer to a plate and drizzle the sauce on top. Serve immediately.
- You can keep the leftovers in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and in the freezer for 2 weeks.