Homemade La-Yu (Japanese chili oil)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup [url href=”https://www.justonecookbook.com/pantry/sesame-oil/” target=”_blank”]sesame oil[/url]
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Green part of 1 green onion, chopped
- 1-2 slices of ginger
- 1/4-1/3 cup chopped chili peppers or chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp. [url href=”https://www.justonecookbook.com/pantry/sesame-oil/” target=”_blank”]sesame oil[/url] (optional) *
- Heat vegetable oil, sesame oil, garlic, green onion, and ginger in a saucepan until smoking.
- Add chopped chili pepper or chili flakes and cook stirring occasionally on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 1 Tbsp. sesame oil. Let it steep until it cools down.
- Strain and it is ready for use.
Sesame oil loses fragrance while cooking, so you can add a little bit of sesame oil after cooking. [br][br]Use in 1-2 weeks.[br][br][i]Recipe by Namiko Chen of [url href=”https://www.justonecookbook.com” title=”Just One Cookbook”]Just One Cookbook[/url]. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link to this post as the original source. Thank you.[/i]