Tender and sweet Scallop Sushi! These butterflied scallops are placed on top of sushi rice and garnished with spicy mayo and yuzu tobiko.
Our family loves sushi. Among many different kinds of sushi, one of our children’s favorites is Scallop Sushi. Not only do scallops taste good, but the best part is that farmed scallops are considered sustainable/eco-friendly choice.
When the scallop sashimi is really good quality, the flesh is slightly firm but tender, and the flavor is sweet with a clean finish.
To enjoy scallop sushi at home, all you need to do is to defrost the scallop, make sushi rice, and make nigiri sushi topped with the scallop. How easy is that! These will make a great appetizer for your next party. Enjoy!
Tezu (vinegared hand-dipping water):
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp rice vinegar (unseasoned)
- 2 tsp yuzu-flavored tobiko (flying fish roe)
- 2 tsp Homemade Spicy Mayo
- 2 chives
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Cut off the muscle from scallops.
- Butterfly the scallops.
- Moisten your hands with tezu (vinegar dipping hand) and pick up a tablespoon-sized ball of sushi rice. Gently squeeze the rice in your right hand to form a rectangular block with rounded edges and slides. Apply some pressure to the rice while forming it into a sturdy base for the scallops.
- Garnish each formed piece of rice with a small bit of wasabi (if you like) and top it off with a scallop. Add tobiko and spicy mayo to each piece of scallop and decorate with chive. Because of raw scallop, enjoy it on the same day!
Our Recommendations for Buying Sashimi Online
When we have a sudden craving for sashimi we usually buy from our local Japanese supermarkets. If you don't have a reliable shop to purchase quality sashimi nearby, we would recommend buying from Catalina Offshore online.
They've been in business for over forty years and all the sashimi products we've tried from them are outstanding. Use J1COOK20 for 10% discount. Disclosure: We earn a small percentage commission from your purchase of products linked to Catalina Offshore.