This sweet potato pie is very easy to make and SO delicious! If you want to make one pie (serves 2-3 people), use half portion of ingredients below. I recently baked this pie while kids were napping, and I finished two (small) slices before they woke up from nap. And I ate another piece with the kids. Enjoy!
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 1 lb. sweet potato, chopped into small pieces (today I used purple sweet potato)
- 2 frozen sheets puff pastry (Each box comes with 2 sheets)
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 egg yolk (for filling)
- 1 Tbsp. black sesame seeds
- 1 egg yolk (for pie)
- In a small saucepan, put sweet potato and cover it with water. Bring it to a boil and cook until skewer goes through the potatoes smoothly. Drain water completely and use a masher to mash the potatoes over very low heat.
- At this point, take out the puffed pastry from the freezer. Place 1 sheet of pastry on baking sheet which has been lined with parchment paper. Put another pastry sheet on a different sheet of parchment paper. Defrost for 10 minutes at room temperature. If you use Pepperidge Farm brand puffed pastry, you need to prick the pastry sheets with fork.
- Now back on the stove. Keep the low heat and slowly add in heavy whipping cream and mix well. If you don’t have 1 lb. sweet potato, you probably don’t need to use all of heavy whipping cream.
- Add sugar and butter and keep mixing. Then turn off heat and add egg yolk and sesame seeds. Combine well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F. By this time the puffed pastry is defrosted so cut the sheets in half with a scissor. Now you have 4 rectangular sheets. Then make several slits on 2 sheets that will go on top of the pie.
- Now you put the sweet potato mixture on the bottom sheets. Keep about half inch space around the rim.
- Then cover with the top sheet. Use a fork to pinch the edges.
- Beat egg yolk in a small bowl and brush top of the pastry so it will turn nice golden-brown.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Ready to serve in 10 minutes.