Bring a punch of Japanese flavor to your BBQ this season with this Grilled Corn with Miso Butter.
BBQ meals at my house always include a side of grilled corn. The meal just doesn’t feel complete without a side of yummy grilled corn. Our recent favorite corn recipe is Grilled Corn with Miso Butter using Hikari Miso‘s Organic Saikyo Sweet Miso.
I received a lot of positive feedback about my miso recipes from readers who had thought miso is limited to making miso soup. Actually, Japanese use miso paste for soups, marinades, dressings, sauces, and pickling. Its importance as a base ingredient rivals soy sauce!
With my recent partnership with my favorite brand of miso – Hikari Miso – I look forward to sharing more miso recipes with you as I experiment with this essential ingredient in Japanese cooking.
Flavor Up Your Sweet Corn with a Japanese Twist – Miso Butter
Today, I used Saikyo Miso (sweet white miso, 西京味噌), which originated from the Kyoto area and is commonly used in Kyoto or Western Japan (Kansai region). If you like the flavor of Saikyo Miso, you can also try this delicious Miso Cod recipe.
When grilling corn, you can remove the husk completely, but they make a nice handle when eating outside. To make the miso butter, it is as simple as combining miso, butter, soy sauce and a tad bit of honey for a bold Japanese flavor. Brush on the savory and sweet miso paste along with a few other ingredients to add a whole new layer of flavor to grilled corn. It’s amazing how miso tastes after a little bit of roasting on the grill and soaking into the corn.
I hope you give this Grilled Corn with Miso Butter recipe a try this summer with your family and friends. They will be pleasantly surprised when they taste these wonderful flavors for the first time!
Hikari Miso products are available on Amazon. You can also buy Hikari Miso products in Japanese grocery stores (my local Japanese and Asian stores carry their product).
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you so much for reading, and till next time!
- 4 ears corn
- 1 green onion/scallion (chopped)
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 Tbsp Organic Miso Saikyo Sweet (or white miso)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Strip the husks away from the top of the corn to the base, like peeling a banana. Leave the husk attached at the stem end (or you can completely discard it).
- Remove the corn silk and fold the husk back over the stalk. Tie the husk with string or a strip of husk to form a handle.
- Mix all ingredients for honey miso butter and set aside.
- Heat an outdoor grill to high. Spray the grates with cooking spray or soak a paper towel in olive oil and rub over grates several times until coated.
- Place the corn on the grill and put a sheet of aluminum foil under the husk to keep the husks from burning.
- Brush the corn with the honey miso butter as it grills. The ears are cooked when golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and serve with extra honey miso butter as option.
Corn: It’s easier to husk corn under running water.
Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link to this post as the original source. Thank you.
Full Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Hikari Miso. To read more about my partnership with Hikari Miso, click click here.