This week is ski week (no school) for my son’s school so I’ve been a little bit busier than usual with his activities. I will keep today’s post simple and short.
Sunomono (or Cucumber Salad) is simple and very easy to prepare in a short time yet this is one of the most popular appetizers you often see at dinner tables in Japan.
Sunomono is a vinegar based dish usually made with cucumbers. “Su” means vinegar in Japanese and we have a large variety of appetizers using vinegar and cucumber, such as Tako Su (Octopus Salad) I shared before. These light refreshing vinegar salads are a great start to any meal and the sourness from the vinegar helps open your appetite. Enjoy!
Use a Macy’s promotional code and serve up cucumbers in fashionable tableware.
- 1 Tbsp. dried ready-to-use wakame (seaweed)
- ½ English cucumber (or 1 Japanese cucumber)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. julienned ginger (optional)
- Soak wakame in water for 10 minutes to rehydrate. Drain well and transfer to a bowl.
- Peel and slice the cucumber into very thin slices.
- Sprinkle the cucumber slices with salt and massage them. Let stand for a few minutes and squeeze out excess water from cucumber. Transfer to the bowl from Step 1.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over high heat until the sugar dissolves completely. Set aside to cool.
- Before serving, pour the dressing over cucumber slices and wakame and mix well together. Serve in individual dishes and garnish with ginger on top.